I took the GS in for its 42k (or 41,259 miles to be exact) service today, with Neil H (Steptoe) who's private, really knows his stuff and does a great deal: £110!
The idle and stall problem is unchanged however and riding back into town just now in dark, dirty, drizzly weather the engine kept cutting out as I was filtering and only restarted after recycling the ignition - not a very comfortable experience on a good day, let alone in tonight's conditions.
Neil says that when warm idling (but not cold, oddly) the engine is pulling much more on one side than the other but nothing is showing up in diagnostics.
On the way home I began to think about a solution: trade in the GS and the FJR and get a new, or newer, GS. I quite like the idea of buying a used one which I can test ride and therefore know how the engine's going to be. It's a while since I looked but I think that there have been some people with later models on the ukgser forum complaining about similar problems so I'm not sure I would trust a brand new bike to be free of the problem. I'd want to ride the machine before committing.
Neil gave me this bike to ride while waiting. It's got no weather protection but it is very light, easy to ride, and has a great feeling engine. And it didn't stall!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Please add comments here