Saturday, December 10, 2011

Another 42k service

This time for the FJR. Well, it's only done 39.5k but it was over a year since its last service and it needed an MOT, so I took it out to Gloucestershire yesterday for Ernie at the FJR Club to work his magic. In fact he wasn't there due to an accident with his daughter - they were together in a skating rink when she fell over and his skate ran over her fingers, crushing some of the bones, ouch - so I hope the surgeons have sorted her out and her hand recovers fully. It was Jake, therefore, who did the service, Ernie's apprentice, and he certainly seems to know his stuff. A new front tyre was needed - another Conti motion - which gives an impressively light handling to a heavy bike. The feel is completely different to the clunky Road Pilots which I used to have, which were only good for going in a straight line and useless in the wet. Including the tyre it came to £300 - not as good value as Neil for the GS, but still much better than a dealership.

At the next big service it'll need a new cam chain tensioner and the ABS is currently off-line due to an as-yet-unidentified electrics problem. This, coupled with the GS stalling issue, is all feeding into a mindset of trading them both in for something - but what? Probably a new GSA.

As it was cold I used all my Gerbing heated gear, for the first time, I think, since February. The right glove isn't working (although it is when plugged into the left sleeve) so there's a problem with the connectors in the jacket which I'll get sorted before my Christmas travels. The Gerbing comes with a lifetime guarantee so hopefully that won't be a problem.