Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Two wheels, but...

...no motor. Martin on the Vélo?

It's been a while since I had an expedition on 2 wheels, either with or without motor, and some of you have been asking what I've been up to and why I haven't updated the blog since April. Work! In addition to the day-to-day stuff I've been travelling and playing concerts: around the UK, in Hungary, and several trips to Germany. Nothing to rival the unbelievably huge audience in Cologne (first post on this blog a year ago), but some very enjoyable, varied instruments and buildings, and really appreciative audiences. And I've been playing with renewed fervour thanks to the practice instrument acquired just before Easter. I've even broken with tradition and taken on some concerts towards the end of the holiday period, such is my desire to immerse myself more fully in musical pursuits. This, coupled with the purchase of a great touring bicycle from Thorn (ordered last year and delivered in September) means that deciding what to do this August has been very difficult indeed. To be honest, I'm regretting not getting enthused sooner and planning a big adventure like last year, but there's always next summer - and when I get sacked there'll be all the time in the world!

So, as I type, I'm sitting outside Costa's at Gunwharf Quays in Portsmouth, looking at a fully laden bicycle and about to head over to the continental ferryport and sail overnight to St Malo. I'll cycle south then west through the hilly central part of Brittany and cross back over from Roscoff in a few days. I've got camping gear, cooking equipment and, in fact, everything I would need to ride around the world, except time! It'll be nice to do a few days cycling, reduce the size of the tyre which has grown round my waist, and think about where to go on the moto-proper next week.

Here's a pic of the bike - a Thorn Nomad must be the human powered equivalent of the BMW GS adventure.!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add comments here