Thursday, August 16, 2012

Grindafjord

A day in two parts:

1. Waking up in a stuffy hotel room on a mattress that was too soft, eating a breakfast in a dining room that could be anywhere in the world, paying too much for the whole thing, setting off north from Kristiansand feeling tired and uncommitted, stopping a lot and paying too much much for snacks, thinking of heading back to the coast and straight to Sweden or back to Denmark - anything to get out of "Snorway".

2. Deciding instead to head west towards Haugesund, ignoring the silly speed limits, flying through mountain ranges still with lots of snow, long straights by lakes with huge post-card waterfalls seemingly glued to the adjacent cliffs, terrifying bendy, narrow tunnels with almost no light that go on for many kilometres (hewn out during WW2 apparently), steeply climbing and descending hairpins - in other words, lots of fun!

Now I'm camping at Grindafjord. Actually it's a bit of a touristy site - I haven't struck lucky yet on this holiday - but it's still very pleasant. I'll cook some food and plan the route for tomorrow, which will probably take me south to Stavanger and then round the coast back to Kristiansand and across to Denmark or all the way over to Sandefjord where there's a shorter crossing to Sweden but a longer drive on the other side. For now, though, I'm very happy where I am!

1 comment:

Please add comments here