Sunday, August 26, 2012

Gaida

Wednesday. I was only 50 miles from Trier and an idea occurred to me. In July I'd played at Himmerod Abbey and the organiser of the recital, himself an organ builder, had interested me in the technology his firm uses to produce a really responsive key action. I'd had to hurry back to the UK without seeing an example but I knew there were some of his organs in the Trier area, so a few calls and texts had me pointed towards Konz (via a marvellous bendy road alongside the Mösel) ending up at a modern catholic church and being let onto the organ by a very helpful, enthusiastic priest. After playing the Bach passacaglia (boots off) to satisfy his desire to hear me play, I had an hour or so in private to explore the organ. A mixed bag, but the bit I was interested in, the action, was really impressive. The keys are long behind the pivot point like piano keys, and therefore have a natural weight and sense of depth when pressed. Rather like the Notre Dame console. And the pallets open only a very short distance, allowing very quick open/close movements thus making repeated notes very easy. Another interesting feature was the possibility to play any stop at any pitch on any keyboard. I'm constantly frustrated by the backwardness and phobia of technology shown by British organ builders (let alone their inability to voice organs) and, although there were tonal aspects of this instrument I didn't like, I was impressed by the way they had harnessed technology to improve the playing experience. They were thinking of the player, not of the builder.

I moved on through Luxembourg where I got a tank of petrol at three quarters of the price of Germany or France, and after more dithering ended up at the camping in South Holland which was my first stop on last year's holiday. I take back my comments about them last year - the owner recognized me (you're the only British biker ever to come here) and gave me a good price. And it's a really beautiful setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add comments here