Saturday, March 17, 2012

French Sext

Since the last post the GS has had its first service and a few short day-off journeys but has mostly been sitting in the garage while I've been getting lots of exercise on my Thorn Nomad bicycle - it's roughly the cycling equivalent of a GSA: designed to be able to go round the world with ease, though so far it's not got much further than Wimbledon Common and Richmond Park! Perhaps I'll take a tour on it after Easter...

Anyway, for my day off this week I decided to take advantage of a special 24 hour deal on Brittany Ferries and sailed Wednesday night from Portsmouth to St Malo and back from Caen to Porstmouth on Thursday evening.

From St Malo I took the coast road towards Mont St Michel, then south east via Fougeres to the Abbey of Solesmes where I arrived in time for Sext and a quiet 45 mins or so after that before legging it back to Caen on the motorway to catch the 5.30 ferry. I underestimated the distance back to Caen so it was a bit of a white-knuckle ride but gave me the chance to try the GS out a higher speeds than usual! The day was unusually warm and sunny - at one point in the middle of the afternoon it reached 23C - not bad for early March. I was back home soon after midnight - a great day off.

Dawn approaching St Malo

View from my cabin on the Armorique

MSM

The square at Fougeres

Sext

The abbey of Solesmes




Arriving back in Portsmouth

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic. I can see the cafe in the photo of Fougeres!
    I may well take the same route from St Malo on Easter Monday, but the cafe may be shut as it is a public holiday.

    ReplyDelete

Please add comments here