Sunday, April 15, 2012

Ben Hope

I headed west along the north coast. While most people take John O Groats as the point to get to at the top of the UK, I was more interested in the remote northwest corner and two things in particular: Ben Hope and Cape Wrath. Ben Hope (927m) is the most northerly Munro and looks out to the north pole - it's the last mountain of the Scottish mainland.

Today the roads were deserted. The flat land around JOG gradually becomes more hilly, then the road reduces to a single carriageway with passing points. There was no hurry so I took frequent diversions off the main road - Dunnet Head, Strathy Point - then wound around into Tongue where I stocked up on cash and food supplies as I wasn't sure where the next shop would be. The weather was cold, alternating clear patches with sudden icy downpours of hail coming from the north-east. Ben Hope and Ben Loyal became visible a long way off - the air was very clear.

I took a tiny side road down the west side of Ben Hope and stopped to make some tea. Further along was the point (on the s/w side of the mountain) where ascents begin - but that'll have to be another time as I didn't fancy climbing a mountain in motorcycle gear. I retraced the route back to the main road and, after skirting Loch Eribol, found a deserted camping in Durness right over the sea. I set up right on top of the cliff overlooking the beach, angling the tent's tail into the strong north-east wind. The hail showers continued to come, and the combination of howling wind and hail kept waking me during the night.

Cows on the road
Ben Hope from afar
Ben Loyal
Approaching the foot of Ben Hope
The way up - another time
A nice spot for tea
Sango Sands campsite
Looking down onto the beach

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add comments here