This morning things had dried out a bit but not gloves or boots. Sod the Sealskinz expensive "completely waterproof" socks, I invented my own solution - much cheaper, more effective and surprisingly comfortable - wear normal socks and insert feet into plastic bags before putting into boots. Works a treat - feet stayed completely dry all day despite being in soaking wet boots.
Down the motorway into Brno. It has 2 things common to nearly every city in the world:
A quick look inside one of them revealed that MacDonalds is seemingly the more popular of the two in this town.
The corrugated iron motorway of the Czech Rep gave way to the smooth roads of Slovakia, for which I had to buy an 8.95E vignette, to spend only one or two hours on them. I bypassed Bratislava (been there done that) and Vienna (ditto, with Richard 2 years ago) and headed straight into Hungary.
Another vignette needed - only 3.95E for a moto, but this didn't amuse three rather noisier and rough looking bikers from Berlin who had a good moan to each other and just about everyone around.
After getting a ticket from a rather hostile young woman (good preparation for some of the border crossings to come?) I headed onto some really nice roads, initially towards Györ. The scenery here is beautiful, with long open plains and lots of trees with a silver/white look. I should probably know what they are but I don't.
Stopped to satisfy my latest obsession:
Turned off at Györ, without going into the town (been there done that with WCC in 2000) and headed for Balaton, the large lake. (Been there done that too when I was driven from Budapest to Pecs to play a recital a few years ago, but worth coming back I thought.) Amazing road, perfect for biking - route 82.
Stopped for this photo by Csesznek Castle. (Yes I chopped my hair before setting out.)
Hopefully I won't make any mistakes resulting in one of these being made in my name anytime soon:
Got to Lake Balaton on the northwest side and it was very touristy, so went around to the northeast side where it's not quite so touristy and found a camping not long before dark. (Sunset is getting earlier as I get further east - this eve was 8.20pm local - that'll break back whenever I hit the next time zone.) Forgot to do the usual checks for loud music (" family entertainment") and local railway lines. It actually has both! So the crap band playing a couple of hundred yards away are occasionally interrupted by the long roar of a passing train. Good job I've got earplugs. Note to self: stick to campsites miles from any tourist spots in future.
By the way, here's a photo of Lake Balaton. Well, I did my best...
Finally, a question: tomorrow do I head straight to Romania or do I cross Serbia enroute? Any advice welcome. I'm inclined to stay away from Serbia as they're not known for their warm friendliness, but that feels like cheating, so perhaps I should go for it...







How funny you are at Lake Balaton. We were there for a few days until Tuesday and in Gyor before that. Stayed in Balatonfured on the Western side. Weather is usually very good, but was cold and wet when we were there. Not sure about what you should do tomorrow, though my gut feeling is for you tto go with the spirit of adventure!
ReplyDeleteThanks. Weather still a bit grey and in low 20s, but a lot better than Saturday. I can't see a very easy way through Serbia so I'd only be going there for the sake of it, so think I'll head directly over to Romania. Will target Sibiu, as I think the Transfagarasan begins near there.
ReplyDelete