I didn't get to bed until 2am, it took that long to download and install the satnav map. Now I have a fully working satnav, and life is rather dull as a result.
Porridge and green tea for breakfast, after a shower which was unusually luxurious for a camping, then I was packed up and on the road by 9.45. First stop, Cologne. Well, I just pulled over at the side of the road to snap this photo:
Disappointed that nobody shouted "Hey, look it's Martin Baker who played that amazing concert in the Cathedral on Tuesday!" I reset the Satnav for the province of Thuringia, Bach territory. Then it was onto the autobahn and, gosh, was it tedious. Heavy traffic all the way: endless trucks in the right lane doing 60mph and non-stop racing drivers doing twice that speed in the other lane. So trying to do 70mph got rather tiring - constantly slowing to 60 approaching yet another lorry, waiting for a gap in the stream of racing cars and then pulling out and accellerating to a ridiculous speed in order not to get rear ended by the first of the next batch of speeders. And so on, for several hours. I pulled over into nearly every service station for a breather.In the course of doing so I became aware of my latest addiction: a combination of Coca Cola zero and Magnum white ice cream.
My intention was to stop at Eisenach first, then Arnstadt, Weimar etc. Just west of Eisenach I saw this from the motorway
![]() |
| see that interesting looking castle? |
so I pulled off and went for a closer look and it turned out to be this:
(I would insert a video here but the wifi connection is too slow.)
I then went into Eisenach and had a look around. A nice town:
And the birthplace of J S Bach:
By then I was too tired to do much more riding so I went in search of a camping to the south part of Thuringia and found this up in the hills:
I'm where the red dot is. There's no phone signal unless I walk up the hill a bit, and no wifi. But it's very peaceful. Who needs a hotel when you can do this?
I'm worried that if I hang around this region tomorrow and look for Bach related stuff, much as I'd iike to, I'm going to get behind and won't make it into Turkey before I have to turn back towards Greece, so I'm going to do some route planning now.






I suppose if you like camping so much then I don't have to book a hotel for you...
ReplyDeleteSee my latest post - there are times when it's too wet for a tent, but then a log cabin will do fine!
ReplyDelete