I ended up with it accidentally shortly after passing my test in 2005: it was loaned to me as a courtesy bike while Rex Judd were looking over a dodgy Diversion 600 I'd bought from my instructor. Trying to do a slow turn in a supermarket car park in Putney I dropped it and as a result there were some slight marks on the gearbox casing. Fate, I thought, as I called the shop and asked how much it would be to buy it from them, trading in the Diversion, and so it all began. That summer I did 3,500 miles around France, in a big sweeping tour, down to the Pyrenees, across (via the Tarn gorge) to Provence and then back up through the Alps. It was a bit daring doing my first riding on such a big machine only 2 weeks after passing the test, but I haven't looked back. Anyway, since I bought the BMW I've been meaning to sell the FJR, but a combination of sentimentality and laziness have held me back.
It's been sitting unused since before my summer trip, when I used it for several return journeys to Oundle when I was teaching/playing there, so it needs a spin to get the blood moving again. I have tended to use the FJR for business and short UK trips and save the BMW for the big holidays.
So, the plan is - thanks to a special very cheap deal with Brittany Ferries - out tomorrow night (Friday) from Porstmouth to St Malo, arrive Sat morning, ride to Caen, then catch the afternoon ferry back to Portsmouth. So I'll get a 100 mile blast in northern France, that's all. But I do like the overnight crossing to St Malo and dining on the ferry. I'm not going to rough it this time: the crossings, including the motorbike and a cabin to myself both ways, cost only £80.
I'm sure it's going to piss with rain, but it'll force me to think about a replacement of my winter riding gear which is beginning to fall apart after 6 years of heavy use.
More tomorrow when I get going.
| Me and the FJR in 2006 near Mont St Michel. That's Richard's old V-Strom in the background |
Nice to see the blog up and running again. The picture overlooking Mont St Michel brings back very happy memories of our 1st Moto trip together.
ReplyDeleteWhen's the "Riding with Richard" blog going to start then?!
ReplyDelete