Thursday, April 12, 2012

John O Groats

I had breakfast and packed up during gaps in showers then headed towards the Scottish border. The weather closed in the higher I got, and the temperature went down to just above freezing. After a few brief glimpses of snowy hills through the heavy rain and mist I descended to Jedburgh and carefully tiptoed past the many speed cameras placed as a welcome to Scotland.

Towards Edinburgh the road was busy and not as scenic as the Borders. I took the ring road round the south and west sides then crossed the Forth Bridge onto the M90 towards Perth. At Kinross the sun came out and the temperature went into double figures so I stopped at a services and dried out my gear while eating. From there it was up to Inverness on the A9, into the highlands, then I continued up to Wick and am now in John O'Groats. I knew not to expect anything amazing but it's not as bad as I feared. I'm in an almost deserted camping right on the sea. It's very windy, but so far, dry. There are no other tents but a handful of camper vans, one of which contains Michael Brown, a runner raising money for the Royal British Legion. Tomorrow at 6am he'll start to run to Lands End in an attempt to break a world record, getting there in 9 days - that's over 100 miles a day and he's only going to sleep every other night - incredible.

1 comment:

  1. Very impressed you are persevering with the camping but noticed you've treated yourself to a new tent. Does to have heating?

    ReplyDelete

Please add comments here