Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Getting ready to go

I got back from Cologne earlier today.  I played in the Cathedral last night to a huge crowd of about 2,500 people - an incredible experience.  There are 2 organs.  The one below is the "Swallow's nest" organ built by Klais in the late 90s, and further down in the corner of the choir and the north transept is the older organ.  The console there now plays the stops from both organs and that's where I played from last night.  This was the 2nd time I've played in Cologne - the first was in 1998 when I played Messaien's Livre du Saint Sacrement, but that was only on the newer organ as the two weren't able to work together until 2002.  Last night it was Mussorgsky, Handel and an Improv.  Got a great reaction from the crowd and, unusually for me, I was happy with how it went.

Anyway, that's music over with for the summer and I've spent the rest of the day packing and getting ready to leave on the moto tomorrow.

The plan is:  Go to Dover.  Take ferry to Calais.  Ride East and South until, hopefully, I get to Turkey.  I'll go as far east in Turkey as I can, then will turn back and need to be in Athens not later than 17 August.  I'm booked on a 12.40pm ferry and will get to Calais around 3pm local, and will decide how far I go before I stop for the night depending on weather and how fresh I feel.  I should be able to make it easily into Germany and will find a campsite - I downloaded a huge list of them onto my satnav a few days ago.

I'm taking my BMW GS Adventure loaded with 2 side panniers, top box, tank bag and roll bag, giving me everything I need to eat, drink, sleep and ride for the month that I'm away.  I've been scratching my head for weeks about how to organise everything, but basically, the plan is:

Tank bag:  valuables and stuff I need to get at quickly and often.  (Phone, iPod, Satnav, Camera, Sunblock, Kindle, Penknife, charging cable for plugging into the bike as I ride.)
Top box:  Mostly empty for storing helmet - also useful for carrying food during the day.
Roll bag:  Sleeping bag, liner, mattress, clothes, wash bag
Left pannier:  MacBook Air, spare parts/cables/straps, documents, stove, fuel, cup, dish, saucepan, fleece, heated jacket, first aid kit, waterproofs
Right pannier: Tent, mallett, water carrier (4L), flip flops, and other stuff that might end up being packed wet, plus some space for stuff that I might pick up on the way.

2 comments:

  1. Glad the concert went well - congrats. Wishing you a 'bon voyage' and look forward to following the adventure.
    Hope your blog isn't public cos with all that high tech stuff listed in your paniers you could be a target!
    Take care
    Ang

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angies. Did you have to sign in to see the blog? It's meant to be only people who are invited that can see it. Does Aunty Anne have internet? Jbz

    ReplyDelete

Please add comments here